Chunky chicken chilli
- 1 stick butter, divided
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup red pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup green pepper, diced
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup double cream
- 2 tablespoons chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans cannellini beans, drained
- 2 (4-ounce) cans mild green chiles
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups grated Cheddar, for garnish
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley leaves, for garnish
2) Brown the chicken pieces until nicely coloured and cooked through. Remove chicken to a large bowl and set aside.
3) Return the casserole dish to the heat and add the remaining butter. Stir in the flour. This will create a roux.
4) Stir in the onions and peppers. Add the chicken stock to deglaze the pan and stir in the heavy cream. Lower heat and cook for about 5 minutes, until the mixture thickens. Once the sauce has thickened, add the chilli powder, coriander, cumin, cayenne, black pepper and the salt. Stir and cook for a few minutes.
5) Add the cannellini beans, chillies and the chicken and simmer for another 6 to 8 minutes.
6) Just before serving, stir in the sour cream. Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with Cheddar and parsley.