Cincinnati Chilli Dogs with Chocolate
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1/4 cup chilli powder
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 (1 ounce) square unsweetened chocolate
- 2 (10.5 ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. ground cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until tender, about 6 minutes.
2. Add beef, in batches if necessary, and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until browned.
3. Add chilli powder, cinnamon, cumin, allspice, cloves, bay leaf, chocolate, beef broth, tomato sauce, cider vinegar, and red pepper. Stir to mix well. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
4. It is the best if you now refrigerate overnight and serve the next day.