Mexitana ancho-lamb chilli
- 3 onions, diced
- 3 tbsp fresh crushed garlic
- 8 to 10 medium-sized fresh ancho chillies, charred to remove skins, then diced
- 1 bunch fresh coriander lnweaves, chopped
- 2 tbsp annato seed paste
- 3 tbsp ancho chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground Saigon cinnamon
- 1 tbsp Mexican oregano
- 2 tbsp ground cumin
- 60ml olive oil
- 3kg lamb stew meat
- 450ml good quality beer
- 2L lamb stock (if you don't have lamb stock, a good rich beef stock will do)
- 24 plum tomatoes (roasted, skinned and chopped)
- 85g good quality plain chocolate
- Sea salt
- 200g grated Cotija cheese (for the top)
2) Add the lamb stew meat and continue to cook until the meat has caramelized just slightly.
3) Deglaze with the beer. Add the lamb stock, and tomatoes. Put the lid on and pop it into the oven. Stir it occasionally and cook for about 4 to 6 hours.
4) When done, grate the chocolate into the chilli, which by now should be sublime. Season with salt, to taste.
5) Ladle into bowls and top with the grated Cotija cheese. Serve with a nice cold beer, fresh cornbread, a salad and feel the flavours of Mexico transport you!