Turkey chilli and sweet potato shepherd's pie
- 1kg sweet potatoes, 4 to 5 potatoes, peeled, cubed
- 2 tsps orange zest
- 60g butter, cut into pieces
- 225g creme fraiche or sour cream
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- 2 tbsps extra-virgin olive oil
- 900g turkey mince
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 small chillies, red fresno, jalepeno or serrano
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 tbsps chilli powder
- 1 tbsp smoked sweet paprika
- 1 tbsp ground cumin, a palmful
- 1 tbsp ground coriander, a palmful
- 60ml tomato puree
- 480-720ml turkey or chicken stock
- 200g grated sharp Cheddar cheese
2) While potatoes are coming to a boil, heat a chilli pot with extra-virgin olive oil, two turns of the pan, over medium-high to high heat. Add the turkey and brown, then add the onion and cook 2 to 3 minutes. Chop the chillies, then add them, along with the garlic, to the turkey. Stir in the spices and add salt and pepper, to taste. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, then add the tomato puree and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the stock and simmer a few minutes to thicken and combine flavours.
3) Preheat the grill.
4) Transfer the chilli to a casserole, spread the potatoes over the top and cover with the cheese. Brown under the grill until golden, and serve.