West Virginia Style Hot Dog
- 4 hot dogs
- 4 hot dog buns
- 1 cup Chilli, recipe follows
- 1 cup store-bought coleslaw
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- For the Chili
- 2 pounds minced beef
- 1 medium yellow onion, grated
- One 16-ounce can tomato sauce
- One 12-ounce can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons chilli powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
Grill, steam or boil the hot dogs. In the meantime, heat the Chilli until hot throughout. Place each hot dog in a bun, and top each with a generous amount of Chilli, coleslaw and yellow mustard, and then serve.
For the Chilli:
1. In a stockpot or Dutch oven, combine the beef (do not brown first), onions, tomato sauce, paste, chili powder, sugar, salt, pepper, garlic salt and 2 cups water. Mix until combined, then add the bay leaves. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat for about 2 hours.
2. Stir in the vinegar and simmer another 30 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of Katie Lee