Black Bean Mussels with Chinese Beer
Mussels are flavoured with fermented black beans and steamed in Chinese beer.
- 2 tbsp peanut oil
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp peeled and freshly grated ginger
- 1 Fresno chilli, seeded (if desired) and chopped
- 2 heaped tablespoons fermented, salted black beans, washed and crushed
- Splash of Shaohsing rice wine or dry sherry, optional
- 900g mussels, washed and de-bearded
- 475ml Chinese beer
- 3 tbsp light soy sauce
- 3 spring onions, chopped, greens reserved for garnish
- Handful of coriander stems and leaves, roughly chopped, for garnish
Heat the wok over high heat and add the peanut oil. Add the garlic, ginger, chillis, black beans, and rice wine and stir-fry for less than one minute. Add the mussels and stir-fry for less than one minute. Add the Chinese beer and the whites of the spring onions, cook until the mussels open, stirring occasionally. (Discard any that do not open.) Season the mussels with light soy sauce. Sprinkle in the greens of the spring onions and coriander, serve immediately.