Golden Gate Chilli Ribs
- For the Marinade
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 4 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 4 tbsp honey
- 2 heaped tbsp Chinese five spice powder
- 4 tbsp Shaohsing rice wine or dry sherry
- 4 tbsp hoisin sauce
- For the Ribs
- 1 rack of spare ribs, cut in half through the bone
- 1 Fresno chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 spring onion, green part only, finely chopped
- Serving suggestion: pair with roasted sweet potato wedges and mixed green salad.
Have the butcher cut rib rack in half through the bone. Cut each half into separate single ribs.
In a large bowl, mix together the ingredients for the marinade. Add the ribs and marinate for as long as possible, overnight is best.
Preheat oven to 180°C.Remove ribs from marinade and transfer ribs to a baking sheet, reserving the marinade. Bake ribs for 30 to 45 minutes, or until cooked through and no longer pink at the bone.
Transfer the reserved marinade to a wok or small saucepot and bring the mixture to a simmer and reduce slightly. Baste the ribs halfway through cooking with the reserved marinade.
Remove ribs from oven baste with the rest of the marinade and sprinkle with the chopped chillis and scallions. Serve with Roasted Sweet Potatoes and a mixed salad.