Brown Butter Oatmeal Cookies
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cup old-fashioned rolled oats (not instant)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup wholemeal flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips, raisins, chopped walnuts, coconut or any combination
Preheat oven to 190°C and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
Melt butter in a sauté pan over medium heat until bubbling subsides and butter browns, about 5 minutes. Strain butter through a coffee filter and cool to room temperature.
Beat butter with brown sugar, sugar and egg until smooth. Stir in vanilla. In a separate bowl, stir oats, flours, cinnamon, baking soda and salt to combine.
Add oat mixture to butter mixture and blend. Stir in choice of chocolate chips, raisins, walnuts, and/or coconut.
Drop by spoonfuls onto prepared tray and bake in the center of oven for about 12 minutes, until browned. Let cool for 5 minutes, then gently remove from tray onto a rack to cool completely.