Little bites of toasted coconut heaven spiked with sour cranberries.
Recipe by:Food Network Kitchens
- 130g caster sugar
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 70g dried cranberries, finely chopped
- Finely grated zest of 1 orange
- 2 tsp pure vanilla essence
- 1/2 tsp fine salt
- 225g unsweetened desiccated coconut
Serves: about 24 macaroons1) Preheat oven to 180C/Gas Mark 4. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
2) Whisk the sugar, egg whites, cranberry, orange zest, vanilla and salt in a large bowl. Toss the coconut with the egg mixture until completely coated.
3) Moisten your finger tips with water. Form about 1 heaping tbsp of the batter into pointed mounds or pyramids on the prepared pans, spacing them about 2.5cm apart.
4) Bake until the edges are golden brown and the entire macaroon is nicely toasted and dry, 16 to 20 mins. Transfer to a rack to cool. Serve.
* Cook's Note: Store macaroons in a tightly sealed container for up to a week.