Chicken, Pepper and Corn Stir-Fry
- 3/4 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 2 large), cut into 3/4- to 1-inch pieces
- 1 large egg white
- 2 tablespoons Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 5 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil
- 2-inch piece ginger, sliced paper thin
- 5 spring onions, whites cut into 1/2-inch pieces and greens sliced, separated
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- Cooked brown rice, for serving
Toss the chicken with the egg white, 1 tablespoon each rice wine and cornflour, 1 teaspoon soy sauce and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Mix together 1/3 cup water, the remaining 4 teaspoons of soy sauce, 1 tablespoon rice wine and 2 teaspoons cornstarch, the sugar and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a small bowl until dissolved; set aside.
Place the sauce, vegetables and chicken near the stove. Heat 2 tablespoons of the peanut oil in a large wok or large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; swirl to coat the wok. Once the oil is hot, scoop the chicken from the bowl with a slotted spoon, letting any excess coating remain in the bowl, and add to the oil. Stir-fry, breaking the chicken up just enough so it doesn't clump, until the outside coating is set and lightly golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the chicken with a slotted spoon and set aside. Wipe the wok out if needed.
Return the wok to medium-high heat and add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil to the wok. Just as the oil begins to smoke, add the ginger and stir-fry until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the spring onion whites and peppers and stir-fry until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Add the corn and stir-fry until just soft, about 1 minute. Add the chicken and the sauce (stir the sauce before adding); stir until the sauce is thick and the vegetables and chicken are cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the spring onion greens. Serve with the brown rice.
Copyright 2013 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved