Fragrant Jasmine Rice Pilaf
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large shallot, chopped (about 1/3 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups jasmine rice
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- One 3-inch-long piece orange zest, removed with a vegetable peeler
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 1/3 cup salted cashews, coarsely chopped
- 1 spring onion, thinly sliced
Serves: 6 servings (about 6 cups)
Heat the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallots, cumin and salt. Cook, stirring, until the shallots are tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the rice until the grains are well coated with the buttery shallot mixture.
2. Add the broth, orange zest and cinnamon stick. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook until all the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork, discarding the zest and cinnamon stick. Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle with the cashews and spring onions.