Chocolate chip cannoli cupcake
Cupcakes get a makeover inspired by a classic Italian dessert.
- For the cupcakes
- 350g plain flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. bicarbonate of soda
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 400g caster sugar
- 250ml oil
- 10ml vanilla essence
- 250g sour cream
- For the chocolate chip cannoli cream
- 500g whole milk ricotta cheese
- 90g icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla essence
- 90g mini semisweet Nestle Morsels
- For the fresh whipped cream
- 500ml double cream
- 50g caster sugar
- 175g mini semisweet Nestle Morsels, for garnishing
1) Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4. Line regular sized cupcake tins with 24 liners.
2) Sift the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, and salt in a bowl. Set aside. In a mixing bowl fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the eggs and sugar until light in color and fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the oil and vanilla. Mix until incorporated. Add the sour cream. Mix until just incorporated. Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture, and mix until just blended.
3) Fill the cupcake liners three-quarters full with batter and bake until baked through and golden brown, 18 to 22 minutes. Cool completely.
For the chocolate chip cannoli cream:
In a mixing bowl fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the ricotta, icing sugar, and vanilla on medium speed for about 5 minutes. Stir in the mini Morsels.
For the whipped cream:
Beat the cream and sugar together in a mixing bowl fitted with a whisk attachment until the cream is whipped.
Using a small knife, cut on an angle directly into top of the vanilla cupcake in a circular pattern, staying within the perimeter of the top, removing the inside of the cupcake in one piece. Using a spoon or small scoop, fill the inside of the cupcake with chocolate chip cannoli cream. Place the top of the cupcake back on, putting a little pressure so that the top is pressed into the cream, holding it in place. Top with a dollop of fresh whipped cream and garnish with mini Morsels.