Cupcakes with Fruit Icing and Sparkles
- For the cupcakes
- 220g butter, softened
- 220g caster sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp good quality vanilla extract
- 220g self-raising flour, sieved
- For the icing
- 50g fresh or frozen raspberries, puréed and sieved
- Flesh of 1 large, ripe passion fruit, sieved
- 110-150g/4-5oz icing sugar, sieved
- Sprinkles, sweeties, rose petals or edible glitter, to decorate
Preheat the oven to 190˚C/fan oven 170˚C/gas mark 5.
Place 12 paper cake cases in a 12-hole cupcake or muffin tin. Cream the butter, sugar together in a medium mixing bowl, using a wooden spoon or electric whisk, until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs a little at a time and beat well between each addition using a wooden spoon. Add the vanilla extract. Fold in the flour using a metal tablespoon. Then using a teaspoon; fill each paper case two-thirds full.
Bake the cakes for 10-12 minutes, until golden and firm to the touch. Transfer the cakes to a wire rack to cool.Add enough icing sugar to each fruit purée to make a soft, yet slightly firm icing.
Using a teaspoon, ice the cooled cakes and then finish them off with sprinkles, sweeties, rose petals or edible glitter or all of them!