Old-fashioned Apple Crisp
Recipe by:Ina Garten
- For the filling
- 2.25kg apples
- Grated zest of 1 orange
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 100g caster sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- For the topping
- 210g plain flour
- 150g caster sugar
- 165g light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 80g porridge oats
- 225g cold unsalted butter, diced
1) Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C/Gas 4. Butter a 23 by 35 by 5-cm oval baking dish.
2) Peel, core, and cut the apples into large wedges. Combine the apples with the zests, juices, sugar, and spices. Pour into the dish.
3) To make the topping, combine the flour, sugars, salt, oatmeal, and cold butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on low speed until the mixture is crumbly and the butter is the size of peas. Scatter evenly over the apples.
4) Place the crisp on a sheet pan and bake for 1 hr until the top is brown and the apples are bubbly. Serve warm.