Vanilla cupcakes also hold old-fashioned water icing for a nostalgic retro feel.
Recipe by:Paula Deen
- 245g flour (not self-raising)
- 175g unbleached plain flour
- 400g sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 225g unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 4 large eggs
- 225ml full-fat milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla essence
- Old-fashioned icing
- For the old-fashioned icing
- 225g room temperature
- 1kg icing sugar
- 125ml milk
- 2 tsp vanilla essence or other flavouring
1) Preheat oven to 160C/Gas 3. Line cupcake tins with paper liners; set aside.
2) Combine in a bowl both flours, sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix on low speed until combined for about 3 minutes. Add in cubed butter, mixing until just coated with flour.
3) Add eggs one at a time until combined. Slowly add milk and vanilla to batter until completely mixed, scraping down the bowl as you mix.
4) Scoop batter into baking cups filling about two-thirds full. Bake until a cake tester inserted in the centre comes out clean, 17-20 minutes.
5) Cool and decorate with old-fashioned icing.
1) Cream softened butter and add half the sugar, milk and vanilla. Beat with paddle attachment until smooth.
2) Gradually add the rest of sugar to reach icing consistency.