Tropical sunshine flatcakes with orange cream
- For the flatcakes
- 1 tbsp pure vegetable oil
- 110g pecan pieces
- 395g refrigerated orange flavour sweet rolls with icing (8 rolls) (recommended: Pillsbury)
- For the topping
- 30g butter
- 2 firm ripe medium bananas, sliced (110g)
- 30ml lime juice
- 225g fresh or tinned, drained, pineapple pieces
- 1 tin (425g) Mandarin orange segments in light syrup, drained
- 1 jar (340g) Pineapple Ice Cream Topping (or pineapple preserves)
- For the orange cream
- 280ml whipping cream
- Icing from can of sweet rolls
2) Cut greaseproof paper or cooking parchment paper into 16 (15cm square) sheets. Sprinkle about 12g pecans on 1 sheet of parchment. Place 1 orange roll on pecans; sprinkle 12g pecans on top of roll. Top with another greaseproof paper square. Using rolling pin, roll evenly until orange roll is 11cm in diameter; remove greaseproof paper. Place roll on cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining rolls, placing 2.5cm apart on baking sheet. Set icing aside.
3) Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown.
4) Meanwhile, in 25cm skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add bananas, lime juice and pineapple; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to medium-low. Gently stir in pineapple topping; cook 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until warmed. Gently stir in orange segments.
5) In medium bowl, beat double cream and icing with electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form. To serve, top flatcakes with warm pineapple topping and orange cream.