Crispy Turnip Cake with Chives and Hot Sriracha Chilli Sauce
- 1 tbsp peanut oil
- 20 grams dried shrimps, pre-soaked in warm water for 20 minutes to soften, drained and roughly chopped
- 15 grams Chinese shallot, peeled and finely diced
- 75 grams minced lean pork
- 230 grams rice flour
- 20 grams water chestnut flour
- 20 grams strong flour
- 400ml cold water
- 900ml cold water
- 1/2 cube vegetable stock
- 300 grams turnip, washed, peeled and grated
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground white pepper
- 1 tbsp peanut oil
- For the dripping sauce
- Hot sriracha chilli sauce
- Sweet chilli sauce
- For the garnish
- 1 small handful micro herbs
- 1 Chinese sausage, finely diced
- Black sesame seeds
1. Heat a wok over a medium heat and add a tablespoon of peanut oil. Add the dried shrimps and Chinese shallot and stir-fry until the shallots start to soften. Add the minced pork and stir-fry for about 1 minute, or until the mince starts to brown. Season with a pinch of salt and a pinch of ground white pepper and take it off the heat.
2. Sieve the rice flour, chestnut flour and strong flour with 400ml of water.
3. Fill a large pot with 900ml of cold water, crush in the stock cube and add the shredded turnip, salt, sugar and white pepper and bring to the boil, stirring continuously to prevent the ingredients from sticking to the pot.
4. Remove from the heat and add the fried shallots/shrimp and ground pork mixture. Pour the rice flour water mixture into the boiling turnip pot and mix quickly as the flour mixture will start to thicken as soon as it hits the hot turnip mixture. Pour into a foil container /high sided baking tray and steam for around 40 minutes. This should make 2 batches in a 20 x 14 centimetre container. Leave it in the fridge to set for a few hours.
5. Heat a wok over a medium heat and fry the sausage, with no oil, until brown and crispy and drain it on the kitchen roll.
6. Once set, cut the turnip cake into cubes. Add a thin layer of peanut oil to the wok and fry the cubes for 1 minute on each side. Make the sauce by combining equal amounts of sriracha and sweet chilli sauce. Put the turnip cake on a plate, with a dollop of sauce, sprinkling of sausage, black sesame seeds & micro herbs.