Garlic Thyme Steak with Smoked Tomato Relish
- 1.5 kg Steak rump, thick not wide, ideally 3 cm thick
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Fresh thyme for garnish
- For the Rub
- 1 tablespoon grated garlic, store bought
- 6 springs fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon smoked salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- For the Relish
- 1 can 400g flavoured basil and oregano tinned tomatoes
- 4 chopped spring onions
- 1 teaspoon grated garlic, store bought
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon smoked salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon sugar
1. Preheat a grill pan.
2. Make the rub by mixing everything together in a bowl.
3. Drizzle the steak with olive oil and sprinkle over the mix.
4. Put the steak on to grill 4 a side for medium rare.
5. For the relish, chop the spring onions and get them into a sauté pan with some olive oil.
6. Add garlic cloves, and stir to soften.
7. Add the tomatoes, smoked paprika, sugar, salt and pepper and cook for 10 minutes.
8. Turn the steak and give it 4 on the other side.
9. Take the steak off to rest for 5 minutes.
10. When the steak has rested cut it across the grain in slices.
11. Serve on a large plate or board with a bowlful of relish alongside the steak.