Healthy Creamed Swiss Chard With Pine Nuts
- 1 large bunch rainbow Swiss chard, stemmed, leaves coarsely chopped
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 6 tablespoons reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped toasted pine nuts
Combine the Swiss chard, onions and 1/2 cup water in a large pot. Bring to a simmer over high heat, lower the heat to medium, cover and cook, stirring frequently, until the chard is very tender, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine the cream cheese, nutmeg and 1/4 cup water in a medium saucepan. Place over medium heat and cook, whisking frequently, until the cheese melts and the mixture just bubbles around the edges. With a slotted spoon, transfer the chard to the pan with the cheese mixture (leave any excess liquid in the pot). Mix well and season with salt and pepper. Garnish with the pine nuts.
Cook's Note: This is also an excellent cooking method for other hearty greens like kale or collards; just be sure to adjust the cooking time in Step 1 to ensure the greens are cooked until tender.