Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese Soufflé
Visit cheese heaven with this pure, unadulterated soufflé.
- 75g butter
- 100g Parmigiano Reggiano, finely grated
- 50g plain flour
- 300ml milk
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 4 eggs, separated
Don’t be put off making soufflés because you think they are difficult – on the contrary, they are easy to make. You just have to be ready to eat them!
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C / fan oven 180°C / gas mark 6. Grease a 1.2 litre soufflé dish with butter, then add two tablespoons of the grated Parmigiano Reggiano, tilting the dish so that it coats the base and sides.
2. Put the remaining butter into a saucepan with the flour and milk. Heat, stirring constantly with a small whisk, until the mixture is thick and smooth. Cook for a few more seconds, stirring all the time. Remove from the heat and add the remaining grated Parmigiano Reggiano, stirring until melted. Season with a pinch of salt and cayenne pepper.
3. Stir the egg yolks into the cheese mixture. Whisk the egg whites in a large, clean bowl, using a hand-held electric mixer or whisk, until they hold their shape. Fold them into the cheese mixture using a large metal spoon. Pour into the prepared dish.
4. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until risen and golden brown. Serve immediately.
Cook’s tip: Make individual servings in small soufflé dishes, wrapping a collar of non-stick baking parchment around the dishes, secured with string, to add extra height.
Recipe Courtesy of Parmigiano Reggiano