Butterscotch Bird Nests
- 3/4 cup blanched almond slivers
- 10 ounces vanilla almond cooking chocolate
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 2 cups pretzel sticks, broken in half
- 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut chips (often found in the health food aisle)
- 1 cup mini chocolate eggs (about 50)
Serves: 30 nests
Heat a large, dry saute pan over medium heat. Add the almond slivers and toast, shaking the pan every minute, until they are fragrant and begin to darken in areas, 3 to 5 minutes.
Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Melt the almond bark in a microwave-safe bowl according to package instructions. Stir in the butterscotch chips. Microwave another 30 seconds, and then stir until smooth.
Stir in the almonds, pretzels and coconut, coating evenly. Drop the mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time, onto the prepared baking sheets. Nestle in 1 or 2 of the mini eggs. If the mixture starts to cool and become too firm to work with, microwave for 30 seconds and stir gently. Let the nests cool at room temperature until solid.
Cook's Note: You can also drop the mixture into mini paper candy/cupcake liners for giftable packaging.