Doughnut French toast
A beautiful marriage of two delicious treats, perfect for breakfast and teatime.
- 2 eggs
- 110ml full fat milk
- 4 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 slices from a small white loaf or 2 slices from a large white loaf, each large slice cut in half
- 30g butter, plus a drop of flavourless oil, for frying
- 60g caster sugar
2) Soak the bread halves in the eggy mixture for 5 minutes on each side.
3) Heat the butter and oil in a frying pan and fry the egg-soaked bread until golden and scorched in parts, on both sides.
4) Put the sugar on a plate and then dip the cooked bread in it until coated like a sugared doughnut.
You can, if you like, turn this into a dinner party doughnut-allusive dessert by whizzing up 150g hulled strawberries, 4 tbsp icing sugar and a spritz of lemon juice in the blender, to make a sauce to pour or puddle over.