Red Velvet Cupcakes
- For the cupcakes
- 180g Stork
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp salt
- 400g (2 1/2 cups) plain / all-purpose flour
- 315g (1 1/2 cups) caster / granulated sugar
- Red food colouring
- 2 tbsp cocoa
- 250ml (1 cup) buttermilk/natural yoghurt
- 3 tsp baking powder
- For the frosting
- 250ml (1 cup) milk
- 55g (1/3 cup) plain flour
- 250g (1 cup) margarine
- 210g (1 cup) sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Approximately 125ml milk/cream
To make the cake:
1. Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Generously grease and flour a cupcake tray or use paper cupcake cases.
2. Cream Stork and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and beat for another minute. Beat in vanilla until combined.
3. In a separate bowl combine the cocoa, food colouring, and 2 tbsp water. Beat into the mixture.
4. Measure out the flour, baking powder and salt. Alternate adding flour and buttermilk/yoghurt mixtures to the batter, beating on low to medium speed.
5. Spoon the batter evenly into the cupcake tray and bake for 20 - 25 minutes.
6. Once cooked cool on a cake rack before frosting.
For the frosting:
1. In a saucepan whisk together the flour and milk, then gently bring to the boil stirring constantly, until thickened. Cool in the refrigerator.
2. Beat the Stork, sugar and vanilla together. Add the flour and milk mixture a little at a time (make ahead of cupcakes so that it has plenty of time to cool). Beat well, adding milk or cream as needed to get the right consistency. Ice the top of the cupcakes.
These cakes also taste great with a cream cheese frosting. Simply mix 55g Stork, 300g powdered sugar and 125g cream cheese.
Recipe courtesy of Stork