Fresh fruit salad with creamy custard
- 6 kiwis, peeled and chopped
- 2 ripe mangoes, peeled, cored, and sliced
- 1 melon, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 400g strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 400g blackberries
- 200g blueberries
- For the custard
- 335ml whole milk
- 150g sugar
- 6 large egg yolks
- 30g unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2) In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. Slowly incorporate the hot milk into the egg mixture. Return the mixture to the saucepan. Heat the custard over low heat about 5 minutes or until thickened slightly, stirring constantly. (It should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Do not let the mixture come to a simmer or the eggs will curdle.)
3) Remove from heat and melt the butter into custard. Add vanilla. Immediately strain the custard into a small bowl. Place in refrigerator to cool.
4) Drizzle over fruit and serve.