Lamb kebabs with tzatziki sauce
- 12 (15cm) wooden skewers
- 675g ground lamb
- 2 spring onion, finely chopped
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- For the tzatziki sauce
- 480ml Greek strained yogurt
- 1/2 cucumber, seeded and chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 1/2 tsp hot sauce
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2) Soak skewers in water for 25 to 30 minutes.
3) In a large bowl combine lamb, spring onions, onion powder, oregano, rosemary, garlic powder, cumin, thyme, salt and pepper, to taste. Form meat around skewers, making an oblong sausage shape pressing and securing firmly. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
4) Remove skewers from refrigerator. Brush grill with oil. Grill kebabs until charred on the outside and medium-rare on the inside, turning only once, about three minutes each side. Brush pita lightly with oil, and grill briefly on both sides to warm. Remove lamb kabobs from skewers and place two on each pitta. Drizzle with Tzatziki Sauce to serve.
5) For the tzatziki sauce: Add the yogurt, cucumber, garlic, hot sauce, lemon juice and zest in a food processor and blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, and transfer to a bowl. Refrigerate at least one hour before serving.