Braised halibut with grilled corn cakes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 (175g) halibut fillets
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 175g chopped carrots
- 75g chopped onions
- 115g chopped celery
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 240ml dry white wine or vermouth
- 2 bay leaves
- 240ml chicken stock
- 7g freshly chopped parsley leaves
- For the corn cakes
- Cooking spray
- 190g plain flour
- 75g sugar
- 115g stone-ground cornmeal or polenta
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 180ml milk
- 1 tbsp honey
- 60ml vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
2) To the same pan, add the carrots, onions, celery and garlic. Saute 3 minutes, until soft. Return the halibut to the pan and add the wine. Simmer for 1 minute. Add the bay leaves and stock and simmer 10 minutes, until the fish is fork tender.
3) Remove from the heat and add the parsley. Serve hot with the corn cakes.
For the corn cakes:
1) Coat a large griddle with cooking spray and preheat to medium-high.
2) In large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Mix well with a fork and make a well in the centre.
3) In small bowl, whisk together the milk, honey, oil and egg. Pour this mixture into the centre of the dry ingredients and mix until just blended.
4) Pour 60ml of batter onto the griddle for each corn cake. Cook 2 minutes per side, until puffed up, golden brown and cooked through.