Caramel, Chocolate and Candy Apples
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- 6 small apples, washed and dried, stems removed
- 520g soft caramel candies, unwrapped
- 60ml smooth orange juice
- 110g dark chocolate, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- Assorted small sweets, chopped nuts and sprinkles
- Special equipment: 6 craft or thick wooden sticks
Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper and spray it with vegetable oil cooking spray. Insert the craft sticks halfway into the stem-ends of the apples.
In a medium, heavy saucepan, over low heat, combine the caramel candies and orange juice. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the candies have melted and the mixture is smooth, about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool for 2 minutes. Dip the apples in the caramel until coated and put them on the greaseproof paper until firm, about 2 hours.
Put the chocolate in a medium bowl and set it over a pan of barely simmering water. Stir until the chocolate is smooth and melted. Using a fork, drizzle the melted chocolate over the caramel. Put the apples back on the greaseproof paper for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with small sweets, chopped nuts or sprinkles and allow the chocolate to harden, at room temperature, for about 3 to 4 hours.