Spiced Pumpkin-Raisin Cookies
- 1 cup plain flour
- 2/3 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3/4 cup raw sugar, plus additional for sprinkling
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup raisins
Serves: 20-25 cookies
Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 175°C. Line 2 heavy large baking sheets with parchment paper.
In a medium bowl, combine the flour, oats, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and allspice. Stir to blend well. In a large bowl, combine the sugar, pumpkin puree, oil, syrup and vanilla; whisk to blend. Using a flexible rubber spatula, gradually stir the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture. Stir in the raisins.
For each cookie, drop 1 generous tablespoon of batter onto the prepared baking sheet, spacing the mounds about 1 inch apart (or use a mini ice cream scoop). Using moistened fingertips, flatten each to a 2-inch-diameter round. Sprinkle each cookie with a bit more raw sugar.
Bake the cookies until brown and a bit firm to the touch, 17 to 20 minutes. Using a metal spatula, transfer the cookies to a rack and cool completely.