Wormy Weenie Sandwiches
- 6 strips bacon, chopped
- One 14-ounce package foot-long hotdogs (8 hotdogs), each cut into 6 strips lengthwise
- 3 medium red and/or yellow bell peppers, cut into 1/4-inch-wide slices (about 3 cups)
- 1 large red onion, halved and cut into 1/4-inch-wide slices (about 3 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- 6 hot dog buns, split
- 12 slices provolone (about 6 ounces)
Cook the bacon in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until crisp, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate to drain.
Cook the hot dogs in the same skillet in 2 batches over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until curled and golden, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate to drain. Preheat the grill.
Cook the peppers and onions in the same skillet, stirring frequently, until soft, 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Stir in the barbecue sauce, chicken broth, brown sugar, mustard and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to medium. Cook, stirring frequently, until the sauce begins to thicken, about 1 minute. Add the hot dogs and continue to cook, stirring, until coated, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
Toast the rolls in the grill if desired. Arrange the provolone slices in the rolls and broil 30 seconds to melt. Top with the hot dog mixture and sprinkle with bacon.