Kerelan Chicken Curry in Lettuce Wraps
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 tsp mustard seed
- A handful fresh curry leaves, use dried if you can’t find them, but they should be available in Asian grocers
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic ginger puree, available in the frozen section of Indian supermarkets
- 2 chicken breast, diced
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 240ml natural runny yoghurt
- 1 tin coconut milk
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp ground almonds
- Serve in cos lettuce leaves
- Chopped fresh coriander, to garnish
- 1 chopped red chill, to garnish
1. Heat the oil in the pan, add the mustard seeds and allow them to pop.
2. Once the seeds have popped add the curry leaves, then immediately add the onions, ginger and garlic and fry for approximately 8 minutes, or until they begin to brown.
3. Now add the chicken, turmeric and chili powder and cook for 10 minutes until nearly cooked through.
4. Then add the yoghurt, coconut milk, salt and sugar and ground almonds to taste.
5. Lay out the lettuce leaves on a wooden board and run the curry along the spine of each leaf, sprinkle with chopped fresh coriander and sliced red chilli.
Recipe courtesy of Nisha Katona