Spicy sticky lamb chops
Aarti shares her hot and spicy lamb recipe.
- 1 1/2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 3 tbsp plain yoghurt
- 3 tbsp tomato puree
- 4 tsp finely grated ginger
- 4 tsp crushed garlic
- 1/2 tsp hot sauce (or as much hot sauce as you like. I like it mild, so you may want more)
- 2 tsp light brown sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 4 tsp vegetable oil
- 8 (3cm thick) lamb loin chops
2) Toast the coriander and fennel seeds in small pan over a medium flame, shaking every 30 seconds so they don't burn. Once they've given off a lovely aroma and have turned a darker tone, remove from the hot pan and cool completely on a plate. Then throw them into your spice grinder and grind to a fine powder.
3) Mix the spices with the yogurt, tomato puree, ginger, garlic, hot sauce, brown sugar, salt, a healthy few grinds of freshly ground black pepper, apple cider vinegar and oil. Taste and season according to your palate.
4) Cover each chop with the marinade, rubbing it into the meat and fat. You can marinate overnight, a few hours or just 30 minutes. I've done all three and it tastes great every way.
5) Bake the chops in a 23-by-33cm baking dish until the lamb is cooked to medium-rare, or to your liking, 15-20 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to rest, tented with foil, for about five minutes before serving.