Crispy Parmesan Biscuits
- For the Parmesan biscuits
- 210g plain flour
- 80g stone-ground cornmeal
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 60g unsalted butter, cut into 1cm cubes
- 160g grated Parmesan
- 50g finely chopped spring onions
- 180ml buttermilk
- 115g lemon butter, at room temperature, recipe follows
- 3 handfuls rocket
- 285g smoked salmon or prosciutto
- For the lemon butter
- 115g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 lemon, zested
Place an oven rack in the centre of the oven. Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 6. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, salt, baking powder, and bicarbonate of soda. Add the butter. Using fingertips, work the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles a coarse meal. Stir in the Parmesan and onions. Add the buttermilk and olive oil. Stir until the mixture forms a dough. Drop the dough onto the prepared baking sheet in 12 equal-sized pieces. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes until golden. Cool the biscuits for 10 minutes then transfer to a rack to cool completely.
Slice each biscuit in half and spread the bottom half with 1 teaspoon of lemon butter. Add some rocket leaves and place a small slice of smoked salmon on top. Add the top half of the biscuit and serve.
For the lemon butter:
In a small bowl, mash the butter and lemon zest together using a fork. Refrigerate until ready to use.