- For the deep-fried lasagne
- The Lady and Son's lasagne, prepared, refrigerated overnight, cut into 15 squares, recipe follows
- Flour, for coating
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Plain breadcrumbs, for coating
- Groundnut oil, for frying
- For the Lady and Son's lasagne
- 510g tinned, diced tomatoes
- 490g tomato sauce
- 240ml water
- 80g onions, diced
- 80g green peppers, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 15g chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 tsp house seasoning, recipe follows
- 1 1/2 tsp seasoning salt
- 20g granulated sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 680g beef mince
- For the lasagne
- 6-9 long strips lasagne noodles
- 340g cottage cheese, mixed with 1 beaten egg and 1/2 cup Parmesan
- 1 cup grated Gruyere cheese
- 1 cup grated Swiss cheese
- 2 cups grated Cheddar cheese
- 1 (230g) package cream cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella, grated
- For the house seasoning
- 1 cup salt
- 1/4 cup black pepper
- 1/4 cup garlic powder
1) Heat the oil to 180C/Gas 4.
2) Dredge each square in flour then egg and then breadcrumbs to coat. Fry for about 1 minute until golden brown.
Lady and Son's lasagne:
1) First, make the sauce. Combine the tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, onions, peppers, garlic, parsley, seasoning mixtures, sugar and bay leaves in a stockpot. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 1 hour. See Cook's Note*
2) Crumble the beef mince in a saucepan. Cook until no pink remains then drain off the fat. Add the beef mince to the stockpot. Simmer for another 20 minutes. Remove bay leaves. Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain and set aside. Makes about 350ml of sauce.
3) Preheat oven to 180C/Gas 4.
4) Place a thin layer of sauce in the bottom of a 23-by-33-by-5cm pan. Layer one-third of each: noodle; cottage cheese mixture, Gruyere, Swiss and Cheddar cheese. Pinch off small pieces of cream cheese and dot over the other cheeses. Add another layer of sauce. Repeat layering two to three times, ending with sauce. (At this stage, the lasagne may be covered and refrigerated.)
5) Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven, top with mozzarella and continue to bake for another 10-15 minutes.*
*Note: If lasagne has been refrigerated, bake for 40 minutes total.
Yield: 8-10 servings
Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
*Cook's Note: If lasagne sauce is too thin for your taste, you can thicken it up at this time by mixing 1 tablespoon of cornflour and 60ml cold water. Bring sauce back to a boil. Stir in cornflour mixture, stirring constantly.