- 225g lasagna sheets
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 700g sweet Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1 (800g) can chopped tomatoes in tomato puree
- 1 (175g) can tomato puree
- 4 tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 100g chopped fresh basil leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 425g ricotta cheese
- 75 to 100g creamy goat cheese, crumbled
- 100g grated Parmesan, plus 25g for sprinkling
- 1 extra-large egg, lightly beaten
- 450g fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
2) Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large (25 to 30cm) skillet. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes over medium-low heat, until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Add the sausage and cook over medium-low heat, breaking it up with a fork, for 8 to 10 minutes, or until no longer pink.
3) Add the tomatoes, tomato puree, 2 tbsp of the parsley, the basil, 1 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Simmer, uncovered, over a medium-low heat, for 15 to 20 minutes, until thickened.
4) In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta, goat cheese, 100g of Parmesan, the egg, the remaining 2 tbsp of parsley, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Set aside.
5) Ladle one third of the meat into a 22.5 by 30 by 5cm deep rectangular baking dish, spreading it over the bottom of the dish. Then add the layers as follows: half the pasta, half the mozzarella, half the ricotta and another third of the sauce.
6) Add the rest of the pasta, mozzarella, ricotta, and finally the remaining sauce. Sprinkle with 25g of Parmesan. Bake for 30 minutes, until the sauce is bubbling.