- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 675g sweet Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 800g chopped tomatoes
- 170g tomato puree
- 4 tbsp chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- Handful chopped basil leaves
- 2 tsp
- 3/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 225g lasagne sheets
- 425g ricotta cheese
- 85-110g goat's cheese
- 100g parmesan cheese, plus 50g for sprinkling
- 1 extra large egg, lightly beaten
- 450g fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
2) Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes over medium-low heat, until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Add the sausage and cook over medium-low heat, breaking it up with a fork, for 8 to 10 minutes, or until no longer pink. Add the tomatoes, tomato puree, 2 tbsp of the parsley, the basil, 1 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper. Simmer, uncovered, over medium-low heat, for 15 to 20 minutes, until thickened.
3) Meanwhile, fill a large bowl with the hottest tap water. Add the lasagne sheets and allow them to sit in the water for 20 minutes. Drain.
4) In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta, goat cheese, 100g parmesan, the egg, the remaining 2 tbsp of parsley, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper. Set aside.
5) Ladle a third of the sauce into a 20x33x4cm rectangular baking dish, spreading the sauce over the bottom of the dish. Then add the layers as follows: half the pasta, half the mozzarella, half the ricotta, and one third of the sauce. Add the rest of the pasta, mozzarella, ricotta, and finally, sauce. Sprinkle with 50g parmesan. Bake for 30 minutes, until the sauce is bubbling.