- For the sauce
- 250ml seafood stock or clam juice
- 250ml double cream
- 125ml good white wine, such as Chablis, plus 3 tbsp
- 3 tbsp tomato puree
- 1/2 tsp saffron threads
- 225g raw prawns, peeled, deveined, and cut in half crosswise
- 225g raw halibut, cut into 2.5cm chunks
- 225g cooked lobster meat, cut into 2.5cm chunks
- 105g unsalted butter, divided
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 300g julienned leeks, white and light green parts
- 3 julienned carrots
- 100g panko (Japanese dried bread crumbs)
- 35g freshly grated Parmesan
- 20g minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 15g chopped fresh tarragon leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
2) For the sauce, combine the stock, cream, 125ml of the wine, the tomato puree, and saffron in a medium saucepan. Bring to the boil, lower the heat, and add the prawns.
3) After 3 minutes, use a slotted spoon to remove the prawns to a bowl. Add the halibut to the stock for 3 minutes, until just cooked through, and remove to the same bowl. Add the cooked lobster to the bowl.
4) Continue to cook the sauce until reduced by half, about 12 minutes. Mash 1 tbsp of the butter together with the flour. Whisk the butter mixture into the sauce along with 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Simmer, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
5) Melt 45g of the butter in a medium saute pan. Add the leeks and carrots and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, until softened. Add the remaining 3 tbsp of wine, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper and cook for 5 to 10 minutes, until tender. Set aside.
6) Combine the panko, Parmesan, parsley, tarragon and garlic. Melt the remaining butter and mix it into the crumbs until they're moistened. Divide the seafood among the 4 gratin dishes.
7) Strew the vegetables on top of each dish. Pour the sauce equally over the seafood and vegetables and spoon the crumbs evenly on top. Bake for 20 minutes, until the top is browned and the sauce is bubbly. Serve hot.