Shellfish and chicken paella with saffron rice, chorizo and green peas
- For the lemon aoili
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 tsp salt, plus more for seasoning
- *2 egg yolks
- 60ml fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 180ml olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- For the paella
- 4 plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 20g honey
- 110ml olive oil, divided
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2.25 litre chicken stock, divided
- Large pinch saffron
- 12 littleneck clams, scrubbed
- 1 (1kg) whole chicken, cut in 8 pieces or 4 legs and 4 thighs (dark meat)
- 225g chorizo, cut into 1cm thick slices
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 450g Arborio (paella) rice
- 12 mussels, de-bearded and scrubbed
- 8 large prawns, peeled and deveined, with tail on
- 8 baby octopus
- 4 baby squid, cleaned and sliced into rings, tentacles reserved, and/or 230g cuttlefish pieces
- 150g fresh or frozen peas
- 2 cooked lobsters (680g each), tails in the shell, split lengthwise, claw meat in the shell or out, as desired
- Freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves, for garnish
- 110ml Lemon Aioli
1) Place the garlic, 1/2 tsp salt, egg yolks, lemon juice and zest in a food processor or blender and process until smooth.
2) Slowly add the oil, drop by drop at first, until thickened. Season with salt and white pepper, to taste. Refrigerate until ready to use.
For the paella:
1) Preheat the oven to 190C/Gas 5. Place the tomatoes in a small baking dish and drizzle with the honey, 2 tbsp of the olive oil, and salt and pepper, and roast until soft. Set aside.
2) Bring the chicken stock to a simmer in a medium saucepan and add a large pinch of saffron. Transfer about 120ml of the stock to another saucepan, add the clams, and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook just until the clams open; remove the clams from the liquid and set aside, reserving the liquid.
3) Heat 3 tbsp of the olive oil in a very large frying pan or paella pan over a medium-high heat. Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper and add to the heated pan. Cook until browned on all sides. Remove the chicken pieces to a plate. Add the chorizo, onion and garlic and saute until the chorizo has browned and the onions are translucent.
4) Add the rice, about 1.8L of the chicken stock, the reserved clam liquid, and any juices from the chicken and bring to a simmer. Nestle the chicken in the rice and cook, uncovered, until the rice is quite al dente, about 15 mins. Adjust the heat as necessary to maintain a gentle simmer; the rice on the bottom of the pan should form a dark brown crispy crust by the end of the cooking time. If the stock is disappearing too quickly, just add a bit more of the remaining stock.
5) Add the mussels, prawn, octopus, squid and/or cuttlefish, and the peas. Cook until the prawns are pink and the mussels open. Add the lobster, clams and roasted tomatoes and heat briefly. At this point, you should still be able to see liquid bubbling gently; it will settle when you turn off the heat. Fold in the parsley and lemon aioli and mix until combined, season with salt and pepper, to taste.
*RAW EGG WARNING
Food Network Kitchens suggest caution in consuming raw and lightly-cooked eggs due to the slight risk of Salmonella or other food-borne illness. To reduce this risk, we recommend you use only fresh, properly-refrigerated, clean, grade A or AA eggs with intact shells, and avoid contact between the yolks or whites and the shell.