Sugar Cane-Skewered Jerk Lobster with Mango and Pumpkin Salad
- 4 medium spiny lobsters
- 2 x 15cm length of sugar cane, trimmed and cut into thick skewers
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons jerk seasoning
- 3 mangoes, peeled and thinly sliced with a mandolin
- 2 fennel, trimmed, bulb thinly sliced
- 250gm pumpkin, peeled, seeds removed and thinly sliced with a mandolin
- 12 stems of shadow bennie, finely shredded (you can substitute with coriander)
- ½ fresh coconut, shell removed, flesh thinly sliced with a mandolin
- Handful rocket leaves, washed, stems removed
- 5 tablespoons pumpkin seed oil
- 2 limes, juiced
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 4 tablespoons lightly-toasted pumpkin seeds
- Rock salt
- Freshly ground pepper
Begin by heating up a barbecue or griddle pan.
Prepare the lobster by removing the heads. Squeeze the shell around the top of the tail with both hands until they crack. Remove the piece of shell and continue all the way down the tail until you can pull the lobster meat out in one piece. Repeat with the remaining lobsters.
Trim the top and bottom of each tail and cut each tail into 3 large medallions. Lay them on a plate and drizzle with olive oil. Season each side with rock salt and pepper and turn well making sure it’s coated in oil to avoid it sticking to the barbecue.
Next using a cleaver style knife, carefully remove the hard outer husk of the sugar cane. Cut the inside into 1cm lengths and then cut those lengths into skewers. Using a sharp knife trim any stringy bits off – leaving you with 12 neat even sized sugar cane skewers. Skewer one medallion onto each skewer and place onto the barbecue.
Once the skewers are on the barbecue, brush each skewer with the jerk seasoning. Allow to cook for a around 5 minutes making sure you turn the skewers regularly, basting well and ensuring even cooking.
Meanwhile make the salad by mixing the mangoes, fennel, pumpkin, shadow bennie, coconut and rocket. Make the dressing by whisking together the pumpkin seed oil, lime juice and maple syrup with a little seasoning. Sprinkle the pumpkin seeds into the salad, add enough dressing to coat and mix well.
Serve the cooked Lobster tail and extra lime wedges if you like.