- 450g pork shoulder chops cut into large cubes large cubes
- 450g stewing beef cut into large cubes
- 3 pigs trotters chopped into large chunks
- 2 Scotch bonnet peppers finely chopped
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 150ml cassareep (cassava root syrup)
- 4 star anise
- 12 cloves
- 1 large cinnamon stick broken in half
- 2 tsp West Indian pepper sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
Place all the pork, beef and pig trotter pieces into a large pot. Season with salt and pepper. Cover with water , bring to the boil and skim off any scum that arises.
Add all the other ingredients, bring back to the boil and simmer for two hours or until the meat is tender. If the liquid begins to dry out, add a little more to keep it moist. The gravy should be fairly thick, dark and glossy.
Serve with bread or rice.