Macaroni and Cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp vegetable or olive oil, 1 turn of the pan in a slow stream
- 25g butter
- 10g flour
- 425ml whole milk
- 300g shredded white cheddar cheese
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg, ground or freshly grated
- 1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper, a couple pinches
- 450g elbow macaroni, cooked 8 minutes or to al dente, with a little bite to it
Serves: 4 main servings, 8 side servings1) Heat a medium, deep skillet over medium heat. Add oil and butter. When butter melts into the oil, add flour and combine. Gently cook, whisking flour and butter together, until smooth and flour has had a chance to cook, about 3 minutes. Slowly add milk while continuing to whisk. Gently bring milk to a bubble while stirring frequently.
2) Allow the milk to thicken a bit, then stir in 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese a handful at a time. Season sauce with nutmeg and cayenne. Taste and add a little salt, if you like. Add cooked pasta to sauce and coat completely by turning over and over in the cheese sauce.
3) Transfer to a baking dish and top with remaining cheese. Place baking dish under a hot grill and brown the cheddar cheese on top.