Ruth's Diner: Gramma Claire's macaroni cheese
- 450g uncooked macaroni noodles
- 150g diced onion
- 120g melted butter, divided
- 35g plain flour
- 750ml milk
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 250g grated Cheddar cheese
- 250g grated Monterey Jack
- 100g cottage cheese
- 25g breadcrumbs
2) In a large saute pan, saute the onions in 60g of the butter. Add the flour to make a roux and cook for 1 minute.
3) Add the milk, bay leaves, paprika, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, stirring often.
4) Mix the Cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses together in a small bowl. Once the milk mixture is at a simmer, add 300g of cheese mixture and the cottage cheese.
5) Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4. Stir the cheese sauce well, remove from the heat, and remove the bay leaves. Add the macaroni to the cheese sauce and mix well.
6) Pour 1/2 the macaroni cheese into a 2L baking dish, cover with 1/2 the remaining grated cheese, add the remaining macaroni cheese and cover with the remaining grated cheese.
7) In small bowl mix together the remaining 60g of butter and breadcrumbs and top the macaroni cheese. Place into the oven and bake until golden brown, about 45 minutes. Serve immediately.