Aubergine Beef Kefta
Tender beef mince wrapped in thin slices of aubergine with a rich tomato sauce.
- For the beef kefta
- 600g beef mince
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon chilli powder, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons coriander, freshly chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- For the sweet date and tomato sauce
- 10ml olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tin whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon fennel
- 1 handful dates
- Dried chilli to taste
- 4 long aubergines, thinly sliced
- Olive oil
For the beef kefta's, mix all the ingredients together and shape them into bullet shaped sausages. Heat a little oil in a non-stick pan and brown on all sides in a pan, then allow to cool. They don't need to be fully cooked, as they will cook further in the tomato sauce. For the sauce, heat the olive oil in a wide saucepan and sauté the onions until soft and fragrant.
Add the garlic and red pepper and stir for a few more seconds. Add the tinned tomatoes and spices with the dates and allow the sauce to simmer gently.
Wrap a slice of aubergine around each beef kefta and place them in the sauce. Allow to simmer for 15 minutes. Serve on a bed of cous cous, scattered with extra chopped parsley.