- Cooking spray
- 1 cup all-purpose plain flour
- 1 cup whole-grain pastry plain flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsulphered treacle
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 3/4 cup lowfat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup raw, unsalted pumpkin seeds
In a medium bowl, whisk together the all-purpose and whole-wheat plain flours, bicarbonate of soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg.
In a large bowl, whisk the granulated sugar, treacle, oil and 1 egg until combined. Add the other egg and whisk well. Whisk in the pumpkin and vanilla. Whisk in the plain flour mixture in 2 batches, alternating with the buttermilk. Whisk just until combined.
Pour the batter into the prepared muffin pan and sprinkle with the pumpkin seeds. Tap the pan on the counter a few times to remove any air bubbles. Bake for 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center of 1 of the muffins comes out clean.
Let cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Run a knife around the muffins to loosen them and unmold. Cool completely on the rack.