Montauk seafood salad
- For the seafood
- 2.1L water
- 120ml white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp salt
- 675g large prawns, peeled and de-veined
- 450g scallops
- 1.35kg fresh mussels in the shell, scrubbed and beards removed
- For the salad
- 250ml good-quality olive oil
- 1/2 tsp whole fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tsp minced fresh garlic
- 2 lemons, zested
- 4 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 stalks celery, medium diced
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Finely sliced lemon
1) Combine 2L of the water with the vinegar and salt in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Add the prawns and cook for 2 minutes only. Remove with a slotted spoon. Bring the water back to a boil and cook the scallops for 4 to 5 minutes, until cooked through. Drain.
2) Bring 100ml of water to a boil in the same saucepan and toss in the mussels. Return to a boil, cover, and steam for 3 to 5 minutes, until they're all opened. Discard any that remain unopened after 5 minutes.
3) Drain the mussels, remove them from their shells and discard the shells. Place all the cooked seafood in a large bowl.
For the salad:
1) To make the vinaigrette, heat the olive oil in a medium saute pan and add the thyme, garlic and lemon zest. Cook over low heat for 1 minute. Off the heat, add the lemon juice, mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper.
2) Pour the hot vinaigrette over the seafood. Add the celery and parsley and toss well. This salad can be served immediately, but it is best when allowed to sit, refrigerated, for 1 to 2 hours. Sprinkle with salt and toss with sliced lemon.