Cheddar and hard cider fondue
Have a blast dipping your favourite veggies into this fruity fondue.
- 1 (350ml) bottle cider
- 180ml chicken stock, homemade or reduced-salt tin of stock
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 225g Gruyere, grated
- 225g sharp yellow cheddar
- 25g cornflour
- 1/8 to 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp Bourbon, whiskey or applejack, optional
- For the fondue dippers
- Cooked chicken and apple sausages, chorizo, or mini hot dogs
- Sliced baguette, black bread or pretzels
- Radishes, roasted shallots, roasted mushrooms, baby potatoes, pears or apples
2) Toss the cheeses together in a medium bowl. Sift the cornflour over the cheese, and toss to coat lightly.
3) Using a wooden spoon, sprinkle some cheese mixture into the warm cider/stock liquid and continue to stir in small amounts of cheese until it is all incorporated and the fondue is smooth and melted, about 15 mins. Stir in the cayenne, salt and Bourbon, if using.
4) Transfer to a fondue pot or double boiler and serve with a selection of desired dippers.