Coffee and Coconut Flan Cake
- 4 tbsp caramel or dulce de leche (you can buy this in a tin or make your own)
- For the flan:
- 4 large eggs
- 400ml coconut milk
- 397g can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla paste
- For the cake:
- 125g self-raising flour
- 100g caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 10g instant espresso coffee powder or 1 shot very strong espresso
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 75ml vegetable oil
1. Grease a 23cm savarin mould with oil or non stick baking spray.
2. Spoon the caramel around the base of the mould.
3. Whisk the eggs and sugar together in an electric mixer until it resembles ribbons falling from the whisk. Sieve in the flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and coffee over the whisked eggs and fold in. Pour the oil down the side of the bowl and fold in gently retaining as much air as possible. Spoon the mixture into a tin.
4. Preheat the oven to 170°C.
5. For the flan, whisk the coconut milk, condensed milk, eggs and vanilla paste together. Pour into a large jug. Pour the mixture gently into the cake tin. It will disappear under the cake mixture but this is normal.
6. Cover with foil and place in a bain marie (roasting tin with water) and bake for 50-60 minutes. Remove from the foil and leave to cool for 1 hour.
7. Chill for at least 4 hours before turning out onto a large cake plate.