Homemade granola bars
- 160g old-fashioned porridge oats
- 140g sliced almonds
- 93g dessicated coconut, loosely packed
- 60g toasted wheatgerm
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 230g honey
- 50g light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla essence
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 70g chopped pitted dates
- 70g chopped dried apricots
- 70g dried cranberries
2) Toss the oatmeal, almonds and coconut together on a sheet pan and bake for 10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned. Transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl and stir in the wheatgerm. Reduce the oven temperature to 150C/Gas 3.
3) Place the butter, honey, brown sugar, vanilla and salt in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir for a minute, then pour over the toasted oatmeal mixture. Add the dates, apricots, and cranberries and stir well.
4) Pour the mixture into the prepared pan. Wet your fingers and lightly press the mixture evenly into the pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until light golden brown. Cool for at least 2 to 3 hours before cutting into squares. Serve at room temperature.