Mango chutney cupcakes
- For the mango chutney curd
- 8 large egg yolks
- 225g sugar
- 225g mango chutney
- 112g mango nectar
- 200g unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 ripe Alphonso or Champagne mango, peeled and chopped finely
- For the cupcakes
- 179g unsalted butter, room temperature
- 390g plain flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 3 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 220g brown sugar
- 200g sugar
- 3 whole large eggs plus 1 egg white
- 125ml milk
- 80ml mango juice concentrate
- 80ml mango nectar
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- For the sweetened condensed milk whipped cream
- 1 litre double cream, cold
- 400g tin sweeted condensed milk
- Pinch salt
- For the mango star garnish
- Sweetened dried mango
Serves: 24 cakesTo make the mango chutney curd:
1) Put a small pot filled with 2.5cm of water on the hob to boil.
2) In a medium stainless steel bowl, whisk the egg yolks and sugar until combined. Add 112g of the mango chutney and the mango nectar. Whisk until combined. Place the bowl on top of the pot of boiling water. Reduce the heat to a simmer. Whisk continuously until the mixture reduces and thickens to the consistency of sour cream, 10 to 20 minutes.
3) Take the mixture off the hob. Add the butter and whisk until it is fully incorporated. Fold the remaining 112g mango chutney and the mango chunks into the curd and allow to cool before filling the cupcakes.
To make the cupcakes:
1) Preheat the oven to 170C/Gas 3. Line the cups of a 24-cup cupcake or muffin tin with paper cases. In a small saucepan, heat the butter on low until just melted. Set aside.
2) In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, coriander and salt. Add the sugars and whisk until all the dry ingredients are combined
3) In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs and egg white until lightly beaten. Mix in the milk, mango juice concentrate, mango nectar and vanilla. Gradually add the wet ingredients into the dry, whisking until just combined.
4) Scoop 120ml of batter into the saucepan of melted butter. Stir until combined. Add the oil and continue to mix until all are incorporated. Pour back into the large bowl of batter. Fold in until incorporated.
5) Use a 42g portion scoop to scoop the batter into each paper case, filling 2/3 full.
6) Bake until a cocktail stick comes out clean when inserted into the cake, 18 to 22 minutes. Allow the cupcakes to cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Then remove to a cooling rack until completely cool.
7) Hollow out 1cm of the centre of the cupcake with a corer or paring knife. Fill with the mango chutney curd. Top with a dollop of sweetened condensed milk whipped cream and a dried mango star garnish.
To make the sweetened condensed milk whipped cream:
1) In a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, beat the double cream until soft peaks form.
2) Turn the mixer to low speed and slowly pour in the condensed milk. Add the salt. Mix until firm peaks form – do not over-mix.
To make the mango star garnish:
1) Use a small rolling pin to flatten a few pieces of dried mango. Cut out 24 stars with 1cm star-shaped biscuit cutter.