Quails and Noodle Salad
- For the Quails
- 4 quails
- 4 thin lemongrass stalks
- 4 lime leaves, shredded
- 1 tbsp galangal, grated
- 4 tbsp toasted chilli paste marinade
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- A small handful sweet basil
- A small handful of coriander
- For the Noodle Salad
- 1 tbsp toasted chilli paste marinade
- 1 bird's eye chilli, chopped
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
- 3 Thai shallots, finely sliced
- 3 tsp fish sauce
- Juice of one lime
- Handful mixed herbs
- 50g honey-roasted peanuts
- Crispy shallots, to garnish
- 50g cooked rice noodles
1. Mix the coriander, sweet basil, grated galangal, fish sauce, sesame oil together in a bowl with your hands and stuff into the cavity of the quail.
2. Gently peel the skin back and put half the chilli paste marinade under the skin and massage into the flesh. Rub the remaining paste over the birds.
3. Secure the quail cavities with a lemongrass stalk to hold in the stuffing and leave to marinade for as long as possible. At least 2-3 hours.
4. Place the quails in a roasting tray and into the oven at 200°C for 20 minutes.
For the noodles:
1. Put the chilli paste, chilli, spring onions, Thai shallots, fish sauce and juice of one lime into a bowl and mix with your hands.
2. Add the noodles and peanuts and mix through and then top with crispy shallots.
3. Serve on a plate and top with a roasted quail.
How to make Chilli Paste Marinade
1. Roast dried red chilies and pulse in a food processor along with fried garlic and shallots, dried shrimp, lime juice and palm sugar.