Spicy Crab Noodles
A dollop of sweet chipotle paste ensures Thomasina's noodles pack a punch.
- 200g vermicelli (or angel hair pasta)
- 50ml olive oil
- 2 baby shallots, finely chopped
- 2 serrano or other fresh green chillies, finely chopped
- 1 x 400g tin plum tomatoes
- A good pinch of ground allspice
- 1 tablespoons baby capers
- 1 bay leaf
- Sea salt and black pepper
- A good pinch of sugar
- 250ml chicken or fish stock
- 2-3 tablespoons sweet chipotle paste
- 150g dressed crab
- Lime wedges
- Sour cream
- A handful of chopped coriander
In a heavy-bottomed frying pan or paella dish, fry the vermicelli in the olive oil, stirring from time to time, for a few minutes until they turn a rich golden colour.
Transfer to a sieve, draining the vermicelli on kitchen paper and putting the oil back into the pan.
Over a medium heat, sweat the shallots and chillies for about ten minutes until the shallots are translucent and starting to break down.
Then add the tomatoes, allspice, capers and bay leaves, season with salt, pepper and a good pinch of sugar, chipotle paste and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
Fifteen minutes before you are ready to eat, pour the stock into the tomato sauce, bring to a simmer and cook for five minutes over a medium-high heat. Stir the noodles into the sauce and simmer gently until the liquid is absorbed and the noodles are tender.
Serve on plates with the crab, wedges of lime, a dollop of sour cream, a spinkle of paprika and lots of coriander.